Elm Grove School, Center District # 4, is one of 400 one-room country schools left in Iowa and is currently located on the grounds of the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.  The first schoolhouse was a log building. When the people got together to build the log house there were so many elm trees where the building was built that they called it Elm Grove. The school was surrounded by bushes and brush and Crude benches and a fireplace were all the equipment they had. From 40-60 students attended this school. The present school building was built in 1866.


Elm Grove is currently open for touring during the Greater Jefferson County Fair each year.  Open to the public to view the exterior at all times. Interior available to view during the Jefferson County Fair.