Why We Love Fishing
By Visit Fairfield | August 29, 2022
“A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office!”
If you subscribe to this philosophy, then you might be a fisherman. There's just something about fishing that is so natural and relaxing. Maybe it's the peaceful sound of the water or the fresh air. Or maybe it's the fact that you never quite know what you're going to catch. Whatever the reason, fishing is one of the most popular recreational activities in the world. And it's not just for experienced anglers - even kids can enjoy a day out on the boat with a rod in their hand.
Top 5 Reasons to Fish
- Spend more time outdoors; being in nature has its own rewards and entertainment, with the added benefit of reducing screen time and stress!
- Teach yourself patience; Fishing is not an "instant gratification" sport! With so many different ways to fish, each one offers its own unique challenges and rewards. Patience is the key to success.
- Relax and unwind; Unless you're in a fishing competition, fishing has a way of putting you into a Zen-like state, taking your mind off the pressures of everyday life.
- Bond with friends & family; Fishing is a great way to spend time with family and friends. Even the kids will enjoy time spent by the water.
- It's just plain fun! Fishing is like a game of chance because you never know what you'll pull out of the water!
Top Fairfield & Jefferson County Fishing Spots
- Cedar Creek (access from Turkey Run Wildlife area)
- Jefferson County Park; 4 ponds with catfish, blue gill and large mouth bass
- Skunk River (access from MacCoon access) Mac Coon Access is located five and one-half miles north of Lockridge just east of Willow Blvd. (Catfish, white bass, yellow bass, carp, walleye
- Round Prairie Park has a 13 unit campground, a shelter house, pit latrine restroom, playground equipment, and two fishing ponds stocked with bass, catfish, and bluegill
- Whitham Woods; Pond fishing surrounded by diverse plantings; Large mouth bass, blue gill
- Zillman's Hickory Hills; known for its sunflower prairie and a pond for fishing
- Bonnifield Lake (catfish)
Fishing is a great way to spend time with family and friends or to enjoy some peace and quiet all by yourself. Whether you're trying to land a record-breaking catch or simply enjoying a quiet day out on the water, fishing is sure to provide you with hours of enjoyment. So grab your tackle box and head to your nearest body of water - you're sure to have a good time!