Named by Smithsonian Magazine as one of America’s best small towns, Fairfield is truly one of a kind. We’re big on culture and thrive on creativity. Even though we’re small, Fairfield lives like a big city. We have earned distinctions such as one of Iowa’s “Great Places.” In fact, we were even dubbed “America’s most unusual town” by Oprah.
The most unique part about Fairfield? We have come to be known as Iowa’s most creative and eclectic small city — pretty amazing for a town of about 10,000 people. As a community that moves to its own beat, Fairfield has embraced our contrasts and diversity. As a result, this community has become a cool place to spend a weekend — or a lifetime!
What makes this little town in the middle of Southeast Iowa so unique?
- Fairfield is an immigration success story. Residents include students who represent over 60 different nationalities and cultures.
- Our culturally rich downtown square includes independently owned shops, flavorful restaurants, and a quaint Central Park complete with a picturesque gazebo.
- The Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts is THE center for entertainment in Southeast Iowa
- We love art! We're busting at the seams with artists of all kinds — painters, sculptors, musicians, dancers, and poets. There's art EVERYWHERE, including public art in downtown and displays in local galleries.
- The picturesque Loop Trail encircles the city. Hop on your bike and pedal through prairies, wetlands, and wooded areas.
- Restaurants in Fairfield are abundant and locally grown! Choose food from international flavors such as Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Turkish, Japanese, and Vietnamese, plus classic American specialties such as burgers and barbecue!
- Fairfield is home to Fairfield First Fridays, where we celebrate culture and community.
- Fairfield is home to a vibrant music scene featuring local talent and enthusiastic audiences.
- Our town boasts a rich agricultural and industrial heritage.
- Home to more than 40 health and wellness businesses.
- Home to Maharishi International University since 1973.
- A culture of sustainability — Fairfield has a focus on reducing nonrenewable energy consumption and increasing energy generation.